It’s no secret that I wanted to make sure I was a fashionable preggie. Gone are the days where you have to dress yourself in sacks and tents to camouflage the precious bump. Now it’s all about accentuating what your mama – or in this case, baby – gave ya!
Here are my suggestions for places to shop (and if this part bores you, photos are at the bottom ):
- Motherhood Maternity – this is a good store for basic tees, tanks, and even maternity / nursing bras. There clothes are fairly cheap, not the greatest quality, but their knits are pretty good
- Mom’s the Word– if you live in the SF Bay Area, I highly suggest this store for it’s personal shopping experience and high end brands, fabrics, looks
- Destination Maternity – this is a great online site that often has mega-sales! The have a mix of brands including Pea in the Pod, Motherhood Maternity, and Heidi Klum
- Bashful Bump – this local store (find it online too!) reached out to me to try their maternity body suits. You can check out a look below! It’s great for wearing something sleek and comfy underneath layers!
- Zulily – Zulily options change daily so you gotta keep your eyes peeled But they often will have HUGE sales on Lilac Maternity which is a fabulous brand with super cute looks. Downfall is that it takes up to 3 weeks (or more..argh) to get your goods. I’ve also ordered a ton of baby clothes, blankies, nursery décor from here
- Overstock – who knew Overstock had maternity clothes? But they do! And I was able to score that cute green wrap top shown below at *half* the original price. Nice!
- Gap Maternity – the in store selections are small, small, small. Pathetic actually, which makes it hard to really, truly shop. But they have some good odds and ends, particularly work pants.
Here are some representative looks:
Casual Fridays: Skinny jeans from Motherhood, light blue Gap tee, VS strappy sandals, ruffle brown blazer
Work wear: Grey jersey wrap dress purchased at 40% off from Destination Maternity (although it’s Motherhood brand), paired with Nine West maryjanes, and VS coral cardi
Day and night looks: I wore this diagonal blue/white striped shirt (via Destination Maternity) paired with Motherhood skinny jeans, and red Steve Madden patten peep toes for the day and then switched to Alfani camel boots at night
Saturday night out: This is the Lilac shirt from Overstock I mentioned before. I saw it on my preggie friend Vidya and had to have it immediately. I love it. Tons of ways to wrap it, shows off the belly, and is soft as silk. I paired it with my Unisa peacock slingbacks and a pair of Forever 21 skinny jeans (—> also a cheap clothes option. I normally wear a 25/26 and these stretch skinnies are a 27 and I can button them up and be super comfy all evening).
Monday’s work look: I scored this skirt from Gap Maternity for $15! Weee! It’s purple and black ‘geometric’ design is fun, yet subtle enough for work. The waist band fits at my belly button now, but as I grow it will also work right under the big ol’ bump. I paired the skirt with a black tank from Motherhood, Express cardi, and Guess modified maryjanes.
Bodysuit basics: This is the 3/4 length black maternity bodysuit I received from Bashful Bump. I was hesitant at first since I hadn’t worn a body suit since 7th grade, but ended up really liking this! The material is great and it’s so nice to be able to *tuck something in* vs where something as a tent. It’s a great layering piece. I’ve paired it with my J Brand Mama J jeans and black Enzo boots.
25.5 weeks preggers look: The top and bottom of the outfit above are both from Gap Maternity. The pants are a full-panel black work pant (no stretch in the legs) and the top is a coral lightweight sweater – this was the first time I could wear it since it seems to run fairly big and I got the XS.
What look do you like the best?
Any unusual places you find great steals?