Getting older sucks. Why? Because time seems to fly by at warp speed and I’d rather freeze this precious moment in time with Bean forever.
In a blink of an eye, he turned 1. In just 12 months, he became a little boy, full of personality, (now toothy) grins, infectious squeals, love, and crazy mobility and understanding. It makes me last 12 months look lackluster and sluggish. Ha!’
Although he turned 1 last Friday, I wanted to wait til his 1 year check-up so I can provide all the status.
- Weight/Height: weight – 25lbs 1 oz (chunky ) 90%; height – 30.25″ 90%; head – 19″ 94%. Big boy!
- Eats: Bean officially eats three distinct meals a day: Breakfast — roasted apples (chunky and pureed) mixed with oats, and cinnamon + 1/2 a banana (lately we’ve introduced Cheerios in whole milk). Lunch — 1 2% cheese stick, 1/2 english muffin with peanut butter, carrot sticks. Dinner — Sprout packaged meal or sweet potatoes or a hodge podge of what we are eating. Bean’s fave foods are puffs, peanut butter, pears, and CHEESE! The biggest change the last couple of weeks is the introduction of cow’s milk. We are also trying to wean from the bottle. Both have not been simple. We try to do his daily milk in a sippy cup (it’s about 2.5 oz whole milk mixed with 2.5 oz formula). He will not yet take the cow’s milk plain. At night, we’re still giving him a warm bottle (half formula/half milk) right before bed. He doesn’t fall asleep eating so I hope to move this last ‘snack’ up earlier so that his bedtime routine no longer includes milk (at least within a half hour). I believe he’s getting about 800-900 cals a day.
- Sleeps:7p-730a on average with one 1.5-2 hr. I think we’ve moved into the territory of only one nap per day, which is actually okay by me. Hopefully the time at which he gets tired will become more predictable. I’d say it’s usually about 3 hours after he wakes up.
- Sounds:dada, something that sort of sounds like mama, throat gurgling, clicking his tongue, snorting, blowing raspberries, sticking his tongue in/out fast to make noise, ‘da’ (for dog?). He seems to ‘know’ a lot of word’s meaning, but isn’t keen on mimicking a lot yet.
- Movements: He is a walking machine. Just not solo. He loves, loves, loves to push anything around: rolling chairs, kitchen stools, his new tricycle, his Pewi push toy, his baby rocking chair, etc. If it moves, he’ll push it. He can walk pretty steadily holding only one hand. He also can stand still without any support for a few moments.
- Toys, etc: random boxes,Tupperware, drawers, his Fischer Price ball toy, his xylophone toy, his new drum, balls, kicking soccer balls, the stairs, dogs/cats, books.
- Clothes:size 4 diapers by day, size 5 sleeper by nights. Bean wears 12-18 pants (though we squeeze him in some 9-12mo) and mostly 18-24 mo tops (24 mo onesies are nearly too small) and 24 month pj’s.
- Teeth:4! He has his two bottom teeth and his two eye teeth (yes he looks like a vampire) and is getting his two front teeth any day now. We are attempting brushing by simply giving him a toothbrush to gnaw on for now.
- Other: Sawyer has learned the art of the temper tantrum. He flings his body backward and lays on the floor looking all tragic and ridiculous. I just look at him and go, “really?” He’s not amused. (Luckily I’m sort of amused … for now). He also seems to go ballistic when it comes to changing his diaper — most hated activity ever!
Yesterday my baby boy turned 11 months! That means the next milestone is his 1 year Birthday, which I’ve already started planning
But before, then I wanted to share his 11 month highlights:
Eating a PB english muffin and holding his measuring cup (taken yesterday)
- Weight/Height: I’m not positive, but I would say around 22lbs and 32″
- Eats: (Same as 10 months except we are trying out various meats and he seems to prefer vegetarian living for now. He’s also eating peanut butter now and really seems to like it)…2 ‘meals’ of solids a day and, slowly working in a lunchtime meal as well. His “favorite” breakfast as of late is apples roasted with cinnamon and nutmeg, then blended with oats, and just a bit of water. It’s like a chunky pureed applecrisp. I usually give him some plain Cheerios as well. Dinner is a range of items: Earth’s Best Organic jarred food (Stage 2/3), sweet potatoes, lentils, (string) cheese, tofu, steameed mixed veggies that are pureed with quinoa, etc. And of course puffs. Lots and lots of puffs. He loves them and it gives me a few minutes to putz around the kitchen. He is still picky about textures and prefers his food blended, but not soupy. He’s eating, on average, 24 oz of Similac formula a day (cluster feeding at night) and about 300ish cals of solid food.
- Sleeps:715p to 630-830a. He is still mostly taking two naps (one 2 hour, 1 30 min), but I feel like that could drop to one nap per day at any time.
- Sounds:dada, somthing that sort of sounds like mama, throat gurgling, yaaaalaaayaaa (loud ‘talking’), clicking his tongue, snorting, da (for dog?), kah (kitty?), iii (hi?), and he ‘meows’ back to the cats. Oh and his Cookie (my MIL) taught him how to rub his hand across his mouth and go ba-ba-ba. That cracks him up.
- Movements: He crawls and walks with assistance. He is always reaching for our hands to walk him around the house, up the stairs, down the stairs. He loves to push a chair or his little rocker as his own walking-device. He also loves to kick a soccer ball (or any ball really) while he walks. He gets a little ornery if you stop before he’s done. He is very pleased with himself when he claps, raises his arms over his head (and say Big Boy!), throwing toys, ‘brushing’ the cats, shaking his head no and smiling.
- Toys, etc: blocks, random boxes, my hand, my necklaces, eating books, having books read to him, his buffalo puppet, his binky, animal paws, door stops, fans, anything bang-worthy, wooden toys, his baby rocker, dirt, spoons, his firetruck (and its ladder), toes, measuring cups.
- Clothes:size 4 diapers by day, size 4 sleeper by nights (he’s going to 5′s at night very soon). 12-18 clothes fit best (though we squeeze him in some 9-12mo) and he does wear some 18-24mo (my god!).
- Teeth:Two precious little bottom teeth. Love.
- Other: He was Baptized on Nov 4th.
Here are a few more of the professional shots we had taken for his 10 month — we’re so pleased with them!
(Photos by Lindsay Ferraris)
Good evening friends,
I hope you’re gearing up for Friday! I have off tomorrow and am taking my first Dailey Method class with a friend (hi Mojan!). It will also be the first time I’m making use of a ‘gym’ daycare for Bean (<–admittedly a little nervous about that). The rest of the day is up in the air, though I’m thinking low key capped off by a homemade pizza night
Last Saturday marked Bean’s 7 month birthday. With each passing month, I feel a sense of sadness that my little baby is not so much a baby, but becoming a little boy. I love all the new things he’s doing, but my heart also aches for how little he once was. This just serves as a reminder to take in every single moment, every laugh, every new step…
So what’s new with my Bean?
He can stand (while holding on to something)
He now uses his highchair to eat. It is the Ingelsina attaching highchair and I absolutely love love love it. He can join us at our kitchen island while we eat and cleanup is a cinch since it’s just a matter of cleaning the island like normal.
He swings! He loves it for a short while, but then I think gets a little overwhelmed.
He explored his first playground:
And of course, he practices being just plain adorable
Other fun facts (that are notable changes from the 6 month update)
- Eats: 2 ‘meals’ of solids a day — usually rice cereal mixed with pureed fruit in the AM and veggies in the evening. Bean loves all fruits, greek yogurt, and most veggies, but not broccoli (!) and is picky about textures.
- Sleeps: 7p-7a on average with 2 1-hour naps or 1 2-hour nap and a shorter nap.
- Sounds: dada (though I’m working on mama big time!), ttthhhh, daaaaaaaa.
- Movements: no crawling, but can roll and rotate to where he wants to go. Can sit up unassisted and can stand while leaning against something.
- Toys: blocks, Jacque the Peacock (still), Sophi, random boxes, my hand, pieces of banana (yes, not really a toy), eating books, having books read to him (favorites = Mr Brown Can Moo, The Night You Were Born, Llama Llama Red Pajama, Larry’s Loud Roar)
- Clothes: size 3 diapers by day, size 4 sleeper by nights. Wears some 12-18 month onesies, shorts are usually 6-12 month.
- Teeth: none! Where are they???
One thing I’ve realized: I’m capturing Bean’s life on my iPhone — an old one at that (3GS)–due to its convenience. I feel like most of his pics aren’t any better quality than the pics of me when I was a baby! Hmm…
Are we losing quality for convenience?