This week has seemed…weird. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but I’m feeling a bit off. Maybe it’s due to weaning from breastfeeding (less oxytocin hormones?) – not sure.
On a happier note, it is Zach and my 3 year anniversary today!!! Amazing
We have plans for a decadent dinner out on Friday night:
Anyway, I started to notice that Healthy Living Summit comments are surfacing for 2012. I was able to attend in 2011 and have made the decision to not go again. There were a few wonderful aspects of my experience last year: meeting and rooming with Jillian of Sprinkle Massacre (she’s faboosh, btw); getting one heck of a swag bag (I’m a sucker for free food goodies that I actually enjoy); visiting / exploring Philly (and seeing an old college friend).
My reasons for not attending this year are in large part due to the ‘negatives’ of last year:
- I assume it won’t be near SF, therefore will require a plane ticket and hotel fees –> mucho dinero = blah
- I now have Sawyer…not that this would hold me back if I wanted to do something, but if I’m going to be away from him for a weekend or longer, I want to make sure it’s worth it
- HLS wasn’t what I wanted/hoped for:
- No structured fitness classes – only loosely schedule runs (guess what, not everyone likes running )
- Only 1 short day of activities – it’s a big commitment to fly to the other side of the country for approximately 8 hours of a conference
- I didn’t learn much else that could not have been gleaned from reading the recap posts off my Google Reader
- It felt very cliquey and there was no impetus to meet others
- Lacked a definitive upfront schedule (I ended up booking an early AM flight on Sunday only to find out there was a brunch scheduled that day)
- Based on the 2010 Chicago HLS recaps, I had a different set of expectations for 2011, and from what I’m told, 2010 was enjoyed more by the attendees
Let me add that I did have a nice time overall and was particularly happy about meeting some fabulous ladies who I’ve had the pleasure of seeing again since then. And quite frankly, there are probably things I could have done to have a more enjoyable experience, but I figure for the cost/time/effort, meh, not worth it this go ‘round.
How about you? Are you planning on attending 2012 HLS? I think we should all just meet up in the middle somewhere and spend the day wine tasting…ha!
….aaaand literally since drafting this up, I see that it is in Boston. Well heck, that just throws me for a loop! Why? Because bestie is in Boston so I could bunk with her and maybe just try to meet up with some of the gals I’ve met before and skip the actual conference part. Hmmm, something to think about, no?