Today is the last day I will be without vision. My Lasik appointment is tomorrow and I’m getting psyched!
No more of these for me!
(Although I really don’t mind them…)
I actually decided to get Lasik on a bit of an impulse. A friend of mine had mentioned the San Francisco 49ers Doctor one of the premiere doctors in the country, and since his office is literally a couple miles from, I thought I’d check it out. I was immediately put at ease with their kind receptions, gregarious junior doctors, and then finally Dr. Hyver himself. I decided to “just do it.”
From everything I’ve heard this is going to dramatically change my world. You see (haha pun), I actually don’t have that bad of vision. It’s about -2.25/-2.50, so I actually rarely wear glasses when I’m home, shopping, going out, driving (err, yeah that’ s bad). As a result I tend to miss out on a lot. I can’t see the person that waved at me (so I wave back hoping I know them, or just to be nice). I miss exit signs on the road. I have to sit 3 ft away from our 52″ flat screen. And one distance memory is from Oahu in 2006: It was the final day and Zach and I were headed from the North Shore to Honolulu airport. I decided to throw on my glasses for the first time. When we left our condo, I noticed the landscape and I was like “oh Zach look how pretty it is today! You can see every little leaf on the tree. It’s so clear!” To which he replied, “it’s been like that every day.” Oye. I totally missed out and didn’t realize it.
Next month when I go to Kauai, I will have vision! Yes!
- 730a–16 oz mug of home-brewed maple nut coffee with 1 tbsp vanilla creamer
- 9a–1 packet TJs appl-cinn oatmeal with 1 tbsp pecans and dash of pumpkin pie spice
- 12p–leftover Annie’s mac ‘n cheese with 2 tofu dogs cut up and arugula
- 1p–Coke Zero (rare for me to drink soda, but I was in the mood)
- 3p–small orange and a honey Chobani
- 63o–Stuffed bell peppers and mini quesadilla (see recipe below)
- 745p–remaining half of PB snickers (thank god we didn’t buy more because I would have snarfed them down)
- 8p–1 glass of merlot
- 30 minute walk with Naava
- Ab work: rollups, windmills, dolphin plank
Stuffed Bell Peppers and Mini-Quesadillas:
Take these ingredients:
and follow these simple directions…
- Coarsely chop a small red onion, set aside
- Drain and rinse one can of black beans, set aside
- Cut 2 bell peppers in half (remove guts)
- Heat oven to 400deg
- Place peppers on a cookie sheet (flesh side down) and lightly spray with Pam
- Place in oven for 15 min
- Meanwhile add 2/3 cup red quinoa to 4/3 cup water — bring to boil
- Once it boils, reduce to simmer, through in your red onions, and some Mexi chili powder and garlic powder (about a tsp each)
- Cover the quinoa and let heat for about 9-10 min
- Remove green peppers from oven and turn right side up
- Throw the black beans into the quinoa (after the 10 min) and let heat on the stove for a few minutes
- Add about 1/2 cup to 1 cup of salsa (your favorite kind) and stir it up
- Now scoop a heft spoonful of your quinoa mixture into your peppers and lightly top with shredded Mexi cheese
- Pop ‘em in the oven (at 400deg) for about 10 minutes
- While these are cooking, heat up a small skillet on medium -high and make up your mini-cheese-quesadillas
And done! Throw some arugula on your plate, add some ground peppa, and a lot of tapatio and you’ve got dinner!
(Apologies for the blurry photo). Quite delish though!
Has anyone got Lasik? If so, do you think it improved your quality of life?
Or, do you wear glasses/contacts? And if so, what’s your prescription?